Demand management have to go through several phases, including submitting the ideas, creating the proposals, selecting the best out of them, planning, assigning resources, and finally managing and executing the approved projects.
In general, managing any work request, whether it’s a new idea, or an IT change request, would have to go through several phases until its completion. The initial proposals and project ideas are generally referred to as demands, and Demand Management is the process for collecting these demands and managing them throughout the entire project life cycle.
The planning and management phases are accomplished by the more familiar project management processes by using Project Professional and Project Web App.
On this blog, sharing a new approach for demand management.
A typical scenario,
1. Resources should have a place to submit their ideas with set of information.
2. Stake holders / Portfolio managers should be notified when the ideas submitted.
3. The ideas must be approved / rejected by portfolio managers.
4. Automatically, the ideas should be converted as Project after the approval
The demands or ideas can be converted as Project only after the stake holder’s approval.
The person who submits the ideas may or may not have access to the PWA.
1. Create a Sub site under PWA site collection
2. Create a list in that sub site with required columns and appropriate data types
Note: These columns are going to be mapped with PWA custom fields
3. Publish a workflow using SharePoint designer 2013 to push the data from the list to Project Server after the approval.
Steps are described in detail below:
Step 1. Add a Sub site under PWA site collection
1. Open PWA instance --> Gear Icon --> Site Settings --> Sites and Workspaces
2. Click on Create --> Type a Title and URL according to your naming convention.
3. Choose Team Site as template and "Use same permissions as parent site".
Note: Tested with "Team site" and default permission, it should work with others as well.
Step 2: Create a list with appropriate columns and data types
1. Open that Sub site --> Gear Icon --> Add an app
2. Click on Custom List, give a name and click Create.
3. Open the custom list, click on List tab in the ribbon and List settings, and create columns
For Ex: Idea Name, Description, Region, Proposal cost and duration
Note: The corresponding PWA instance should have equivalent custom fields to capture the information from list, otherwise the application cannot push the data from the list to project server.
Step 3. Create a workflow using SharePoint Designer
1. Open SharePoint designer 2013 à Open the sub site
2. Click on the “List Workflow” and choose the list
1. Project managers submit their ideas using the list
2. The workflow associated with the list will send an alert to the stake holder.
3. If the task is approved, then the list item will be converted as project in the PWA instance.
Register to get free online tour: